Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Herein lies proof that I have no life...

So, you may be wondering what I've been up to lately and the answer to that is a big fat NOTHING. I have, however, been watching a lot of movies. Some newer films I've seen at the base theater, but I've also been checking out a lot of movies from the Yongsan Library. While the library has a pretty pitiful selection of books, it does have a fairly large movie collection.....albeit a rather odd movie collection. They've got a bunch of popular movies, new releases, documentaries, tv shows and classics, but they've also got a sizable portion of just plain weird and obscure movies. And since so many people check out movies from the library, there's always new stuff on the shelves that I've never seen before.

Picking movies is always an interesting endeavor at the library. I always have to look at all the shelves to see what's there, what's new, what I've never heard of, and then whittle down all my choices to 5. Most of the time I grab the movies I've never seen before because you never know when you might see them again on the shelf. (You cannot reserve movies or be put on a waiting list.) Needless to say, I've watched some very interesting movies lately. For those who may be after some movie selections, here's a list of some of the movies I've watched recently.....the ones I can remember, at least....with a little commentary by me.

P.S. Please don't judge me because I watch some rated R movies. I know I'm a bad person.

There are four movies in particular which have especially stayed with me and I'd highly recommend.

1. The Lives of Others - This is a German film, set in East Berlin a few years before the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's beautifully written, fabulously acted and absolutely riveting. It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film in 2007 and deservedly so. It chronicles a Stasi agent whose life and views are completely changed while overseeing a surveillance project against a German playwright. It's a haunting look at a fallen socialist regime and the people who survived it....and those who didn't. I can't stop thinking about it. (And I want to rent it again but it's already disappeared off the shelves. Who knows when I'll see it again....)

2. Once - So I'd heard a lot about this little Irish indie, mostly because of its soundtrack and the sweet love story between two would-be musicians. It's a bit quirky in its plot and pace, but ultimately very satisfying. Also, great music. I'm also a sucker for unrequited love stories.

3. Doubt - The Academy heaped lots of praise and nominations on this film starring Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Viola Davis, and Amy Adams. The movie synopsis didn't make it sound particularly thrilling, but I thought I'd give it a try and I'm so glad I did. All four actors gave great performances and I thought it was a wonderful study of faith, doubt, and human nature.

4. Dan in Real Life - So I seem to have a thing for dramas staring over-the-top comedians. Will Ferrell in Stranger than Fiction. Jim Carrey in The Truman Show. Now, Steve Carrell in Dan in Real Life. It's a very sweet story about a widower (Carrell) with 3 daughters and his loving albeit nosy family. And how he falls in love with his brother's girlfriend. Ouch. But in a good way.

I'll try to be more succinct with the other movies. :-)

5. From Here to Eternity - Classic. Schofield Barracks (on Oahu where this was shot) hasn't changed much. A little hard on the military, but still some truth to it.
6. It Happened One Night - Classic. Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert and Frank Capra. Why don't they make more movies like this?
7. P.S. I Love You - Warning: Must watch with box of tissues.
8. Cranford - Loving Elizabeth Gaskell right now and this has a great cast. (See also: Wives and Daughters and North and South)
9. The Holiday - A unique and ultimately charming romantic comedy with Cameron Diaz (I still don't think she can really act), Jack Black (charmingly goofy), Kate Winslet (love her) and Jude Law (man whore but so, so pretty).
10. Post Grad - Don't waste your time. So cliche and full of barely likeable "quirky" characters.
11. Northanger Abbey (2007) - The only Jane Austen book I hadn't read....so I checked out the book and the movie together. Read the book, then watched the movie. Eh. Not one of my favorites (book or movie). Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion (which just might be edging out P&P, gasp!) are still the best.
12. Strictly Ballroom - Love Baz Luhrman. (Still need to see Australia.) Visually appealing and offbeat, but in a good way.
13. Philadelphia Story - Um, hello? Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and Cary Grant in one movie! What's not to love?
14. Nightmare Before Christmas - I do appreciate and generally love Tim Burton's aesthetic (can't wait for Alice in Wonderland) but this one just fell flat for me. Though I thought it was brilliant visually and I liked a few songs.
15. Evan Almighty - I actually really enjoyed this film. I think we could use a little divine inspiration in Washington right about now.
16. Monster-in-Law - Okay, first off: Michael Vartan. I've loved you since Never Been Kissed, way before Alias. And Jennifer Lopez is very cute and adorable in romantic comedies. I thought this was pretty fun.
17. The Rocketeer - Not at all what I remember it being about. Timothy Dalton creeps me out.
18. Catch and Release - Pass. Not bad, just......not good either.
19. Mostly Martha - So I'm really into German films right now. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart did an English adaption of this delightful movie (No Reservations) but the original is much better.
20. Patton - They sure don't make generals like this anymore. "Rommel, you beautiful bastard. I read your book." Favorite line. Don't judge.
21. Chuck, season one - If you are not watching this show, you should be. Go!
22. Tess of d'Ubervilles - I couldn't finish the book and I couldn't finish the movie. Thomas Hardy, we are officially over.
23. Flags of our Fathers - Heartbreaking and horrifying and sometimes a little hard to follow with all the flashbacks. Great cinematography though. But whatever you do, do not get curious (like me) and read what happened to Iggy in real life. Just....don't.
24. Fireproof - Slightly cheesey Christian film (though I'm inoculated against those from all the cheesey Mormon films I've seen) starring Kirk Cameron, but actually has a sweet story and a good message about the importance of marriage.
25. Gentleman's Agreement - Another really great classic. A reporter (Gregory Peck) poses as Jewish to write an article about anti-semitism in America. Really eye opening. Also, I've got a thing for Gregory Peck. He's the thinking woman's leading man. Swoon.

That's all I can remember. I'm sure there are more, but I suppose they weren't that memorable. I just checked out a documentary called Helvetica today and I'm super excited to watch it. Yes, I get twitterpated over a movie about typceface.

I'm a nerd with no life.

Please don't judge.

Also, does anyone have other movie suggestions?

5 comments:

Kiersten said...

Don't worry, I watch some rated R movies too (in college I think I was afraid to, but I've since opened up to tasteful rated R movies).

I like checking BYU's International Cinema schedule each semester for movie ideas. I like that the schedule gives a brief synopsis, so I can decide from those blurbs if the film looks interesting. I noticed that I've seen several of the movies you liked listed on past schedules.

Kiersten said...

Oh, and one I would highly recommend is Pan's Labyrinth, if you haven't seen it already. It's very creative and moving (albeit a bit disturbing at times).

Christa Jeanne said...

Wow, you hit a TON of my favorites right there! "The Philadelphia Story" is my all-time fav, and "Gentleman's Agreement" is up there, too.

If you're fine with R's, I loooove "Good Will Hunting." As for amazing old flicks, one of my favorite movies ever is "I'll Be Seeing You," with Joseph Cotten (LOVE him!) and Ginger Rogers. It's lesser known, but hopefully you can find it. "Random Harvest" is another great, old weepy one. Oh, and you HAVE to see "Stagecoach," if you like Westerns. Same with "The Searchers." And I LOVE "Without Reservations," another lesser-known gem starring John Wayne and Claudette Colbert.

Oh, I could keep going and going! :)

abby said...

As for a current movie that I really liked, 500 Days of Summer. It has some uncomfortable moments but really well made. Eat Drink Man Woman. Waking Ned Devine.

Liz said...

Kiersten: Yes, I'm very careful about the R-rated movies that I watch and I generally check out reviews and the reasons why they were rated what they were before I watch them. I don't watch R-rated movies that I know are full of crass, off-color humor. Most of the R-rated films I watch are war films (but I'm still very selective about which of these I'll watch). I think it's a great idea to check out BYU's International Cinema schedule to get some foreign film ideas. I've wanted to see Pan's Labyrinth but had heard it was disturbing. I'll have to read more about it.

Christa- I'm a big fan of the classics and have been trying to add in a healthy dose of them to my viewing regimine. I'll have to look for those.

Abby - I'm dying to see 500 Days of Summer but it hasn't come here yet and I don't know if it ever will since it hasn't opened to wide release in America and it's a smaller film. We tend to only get the big movies here and they tend to be a few weeks behind the release date in America as well. Crossing my fingers that it will come here in October.