Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Some Photos.

I haven't been too busy to post anything new. It's just that there hasn't been much to write about. I always have a running list of things I'd like to post about, but there are often more of my own personal editorials on history, food, and politics rather than what I'm doing with my life (answer: nothing) and I'm not sure if people have much interest in reading what I have to say anyway. Still, I always enjoy reading about the philosophies of my friends and so I may just bore you with my thoughts anyway.

Until then, how about a few of the photos that have been sitting in my camera for the last few weeks?

This is the old gate at Dongdaemun Market, which is in the northeastern section of downtown Seoul, not many subway stops away from our house. David and I went out to visit Dongdaemun a few weeks ago because I heard there was lots of good shopping and I enjoy the sights and sounds of Asian markets. What I didn't know was that the main buildings at Dongdaemun are full of fabrics, zippers, buttons, threads, yarn, lace, and beads. Being there really fueled my desire to take up sewing again (I'm also learning how to knit......for like the third time). Walking in and out of aisles full of gorgeous fabrics and notions also really made me wonder how the contestants of Project Runway would fair in such a place and what they could produce from some of the materials there.

From Dongdaemun, we continued walking in the direction of our home, along the Cheonggyecheon Stream. Until a few years ago, the stream had been basically boarded up and there was an elevated highway that ran through this area. But Lee Myung-bak, then the mayor of Seoul and now the president of Korea, spearheaded a big public project to restore the river and make it a public recreation area.

Now you can walk along the river and there are murals, artwork and fountains all along the way. We walked along the stream all the way home, until we turned south and headed into Myeong-dong.

Here's a Catholic church on the hill in Myeong-dong. *sigh* I love Western architecture (and I love Gothic even more!). Myeong-dong is a fun little area, also full of fun shops and restaurants and one really good gelateria. (Which I love going to because even though everything is in Korean, it's also in Italian which I can read!) We also stopped in at a restuarant where we ordered fried rice which they cooked right at our table.

The rice was quite tasty but we also didn't realize that it was KIMCHI fried rice which meant that my mouth was on FIRE after eating it. Thank goodness there was that gelateria nearby to put out the flames.

Other than that, we've been hanging out with friends and playing a lot of Rockband. We always love Rockband parties because David and I don't have a TV and we can't rock out whenever we want. Which is sad because I want to practice my drum skills some more. I typically play drums or sing vocals, although I dabble a little in guitar.

David, however, is all about the guitar, as you can tell by his expression. He gets really into it.

And in other news, I still love this cat.

Even though she's crazy.

1 comment:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Fun pictures! I love getting to see what it's like there. I'm jealous of your cuisine experiences, the food sounds really yummy.

I wish we could play Rockband together!