Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Mystery of Words

On Monday, David and I went to Namdaemun market, a large outdoor market near Seoul Station that literally sells everything. It takes up a whole city block and there are dozens of alleyways and streets devoted to the market. We wandered around, looking at all the weird and wonderful things we could buy. We spent a good deal of time in one shop that specialized in Korean ceramics, mostly vases and tea sets, which are generally a gorgeous greenish jade color and are exquisitely beautiful. We didn't buy anything, but I hope to return there soon and start purchasing some Asian artifacts. So beautiful.

However, my favorite thing I saw that day was this T-shirt. I'm always on the look-out for bad English (and boy, is there plenty around here) but you can generally get a sense of what they intended. This shirt, however, is completely beyond me. Does anyone have any clue?


For those who may not be able to see it all clearly, it reads: "Intensive Vintage. Shout at the world don't care what they 'cos your life is now, and Some people are much top smart Too many faces around they're talking They play their parts Oh, so well but what CHOICE set your spirit free infinite desier (sic) of perfect quality casual wear in pursuit of freedom and freshment (?) explorative and tractical (again ???)"
So delightful in all it's nonsensical-ness. And yes, I free perfectly at ease making up words like that even though that T-shirt just butchered the English language.
Yesterday, David had to work all day so I watched some movies and then hung out with my friend Jenn and her two kids. I would totally have forgotten that it was the 4th of July if the Korean soldier who checked my ID hadn't told me to enjoy the fireworks that night. David got home from work around 8pm and we rushed to the movie theater on base to catch one of their only screenings of Transformers. (Which is pretty good, even though I don't get most of it. David, however, LOVED it.) The base movie theatre has a weird schedule of movies. They have 3 screens and they tend to have either really new movies that are only shown one weekend of the month or older movies that came out awhile ago or just came out on DVD. This was the only weekend they were showing Transformers so I was really glad we were able to catch a showing. They're going to have the next Harry Potter movie in 3 weeks and I'm so excited. The best part about it is that all the movies are free if you have a military ID.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

How funny - we saw Transformers on Saturday too! (the second one...not sure if you saw the first or second) The next Harry Potter looks SOOOO good!! I can't wait!!