Awhile back, I added Google Analytics to my blog. I thought it'd be fun to see how many people actually visit my blog, how long they spend here, and where they come from. In some ways it's really fascinating. In the last month, I've had visitors from all over the United States, Japan and Brazil. (Who the heck do I know in Brazil? Or Japan, for that matter?) The average time spent here is 34 seconds. (Uh....thanks?) And thirty-seven "unique" people have visited my blog. I didn't think I knew that many people. Or rather that that many people knew I had a blog.
Despite these fascinating statistics (the only form of math at which I did not suck at), I don't really like Google Analytics. And I'll tell you why.
It's because I hate the thought that other people have Google Analytics on their site. If my friends check it, then they will know that I have no life and check their blogs at least 2-3 times a day. (Please post more, friends!) But I've also gotten into the habit of reading the blogs of friends of friends. The blogs of complete strangers are either extremely interesting and extremely boring, the latter being the more prevalent form. (Please stop thinking that my blog is boring too.) But if these random strangers check their analytics pages, they too will notice a mysterious visitor from South Korea. And suddenly, I'm no longer an anonymous visitor. People will know. The most annoying thing is those blogs that actually have a counter of where their visitors are coming from. "Visitor arriving from Seoul" with a little Korean flag next to it. Could I be more inconspicuous?
Sheesh.
It's okay. You can think I'm weird and paranoid. Afterall, it's nearly 2am here in Korea and I may have inhaled too many fumes from all the cleaning solutions I've been using. I just hate feeling like I'm being watched....
And so, because I hate that people know that I read their blogs, I will no longer check my Google Analytics. So, you may all rest assured that as far as my blog goes, you are all anonymous here and welcome to remain so.
Just thought you should know.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hehe... I totally understand. I have started using google reader, though, and now I just keep the tab permanently open. That doesn't stop me from refreshing it many many times a day, because, you know, maybe it just hasn't updated but there really IS something there to read. How pathetic, I feel. The advantage, though (I think) is that then no one knows when you're reading their blog, because you're not actually visiting the site. I'm not sure if you can see who subscribes, though. We don't have a blogger blog, so I can't really check. I subscribe to yours, though, so you can see if there's a way to see that I have. In any case, you can check analytics one more time to see if you've had visitors from Washington. Oh wait, that won't work because I do actually visit in order to comment. Hmm. Well, it's worth playing with, anyway.
LoL, yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with my blog's analytics, too. Although, I have to say, it always made me smile to see the hits coming in from Hawaii, since I figured they were you. :) I love trying to deduce who the hits are coming from, since I can mostly figure who is where. There are still some total mysteries, though.
Post a Comment