Thursday, June 18, 2009

안녕하세요!

So. I'm in Seoul right now. It's nice here, except it's very hot. Of course, I've only really seen the airport and the military base where we are currently staying while we get checked into the command, but I already love it here. I think it really helps that a year ago, when David and I sat down to discuss our future plans, we both felt that South Korea was where we needed to move to after Hawaii and we made all the necessary steps to make it a reality. What's even better is that we have both felt a confirmation of that feeling since arriving here. I'm just so happy to be here and everything has been moving along smoothly since we arrived. We've even found an apartment (off base, thank goodness) and it is absolutely beautiful and twice the size of our condo in Hawaii. Four bedrooms, two baths, giant built-in refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, quiet neighborhood and walking distance to 2 subway stops. Anyone want to come to South Korea? We've got plenty of room!

I've been thinking a lot about how life helps you prepare for life. I had a roommate in college who had lived in South Korea as a teenager and who was obsessed with the country. She talked incessantly of how much she had loved living here, she took Korean language classes at BYU, and ate everything with chopsticks. (Side note: there are no drawers in any of the kitchens here. No place for my silverware!) If I hadn't lived with Sara those many years ago, I would never have known anything about South Korea and I most certainly wouldn't have been predisposed to the idea of living in Seoul if she hadn't loved her time here. I would never in a million years have guessed that someday, I too, would live in South Korea. It's amazing how seemingly minor experiences or people come into you life and end up teaching you something that helps you out many years down the road. I know there's some reason why David and I are here right now and I'm looking forward to finding out why someday.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a chance. But first, I need to take some. Hopefully, we'll get out to see some of Seoul tonight.

2 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Exciting! Glad you guys made it safely. Isn't it weird how certain experiences in life end up making an impact later on? It really is a good reminder that the Lord has a purpose for everything, though we may not see it at the time.

Nicole said...

Pictures pictures pictures!!!! :-D Okay, I guess you could probably unpack some of your stuff first... ;-)