Friday, October 24, 2008

One of those weeks

I've been having one of those weeks. One of those weeks when life just seems to suck. A lot. I hate weeks like this week. But I suppose if you didn't have weeks like this week has been for me, you wouldn't appreciate all the good weeks or the awesome weeks or even just the weeks that passed thankfully fast and uneventful. I'd love one of those weeks right now.

My grandpa's funeral was today. I didn't get to attend, which was okay, but not because I didn't want to try. Other things got in the way. My mom said it was a good funeral and it was a rare chance for her to be with her family since they don't often get together. I have mixed feelings about funerals in general--not that I've attended a great many--but I do tend to cry a lot, even I didn't know the person that well. Sometimes it seems so weird to memorialize a person after they've died and it seems like a weird ritual, but I understand that oftentimes a funeral is more beneficial for the people left behind to deal with their grief and sadness than to honor the person who has passed away. Even though I do think they hear what's being said about them. I hope I have a good funeral. I hope they sing I Know That My Redeemer Lives. It's my favorite hymn. And even though it's a bit trite, I hope they sing Nearer My God to Thee. Now I'm getting morbid--which I didn't intend--so let's just move along.

I got an infection earlier this week and have therefore been in a lot of pain. A lot. To the point where I've decided that I no longer want to birth a child because I hear that's a painful thing and I'd like to eradicate any potential pain I might possibly experience in the future. The problem with pain is that you forget the intensity of the pain once it's passed. I remember it hurting when I broke my wrist, I remember thinking getting my wisdom teeth pulled was pretty dang awful, but even though I remember "pain," I can't recall how much it actually hurt. So the pain fades. But right now, in the midst of a lot of pain, I can say that labor is out of the question for at least the next three months until I've forgotten about the pain I'm currently experiencing. Good thing it takes nine months to grow a baby. (I'm not having a baby. Just thought I should clarify.)

In any case, I've been unsuccessfully dealing with pain but David has been very nice to me and very understanding. So that's something. I hope by next week, the pain will be gone. Or, at the very least, subsided.

I went to a training meeting for my part-time job yesterday. It wasn't so bad but I've been waiting nearly a month to actually get started at this job so it's been a little discouraging. I'll just leave it at that because I really don't want to get into it.

But since I can't end a whole post on a really sad, painful, or sour note, I have to post these photographs of my niece and nephew in their Halloween costumes. Because I'm obsessed with them and their sheer cuteness.




Still doesn't make me want to give birth though.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm sorry you've had a rough week. Being sick can't be helping. I can identify with the challenges and general frustration for all aspects of life that can come with living somewhere new. I know that's not specific to this week for you, but it can just make life a little more annoying sometimes.

I'm hoping labor is a different kind of pain--I mean, this kind of pain is because there's something wrong and at the end of it you just get to be back the way you were. With labor, at the end you have a little baby, so I'm hoping it makes it better. :) I'll let you know how that works out. Hehe.

Liz said...

Now that I've been to a doctor and am on the road to recovery, I'm feeling much better and the pain I was experiencing all last week has already started to fade. I think having a baby will be all worth it in the end. Can't say that I'm not terribly frightened of labor but I think the baby at the end is definitely worth it.

I was talking to my sister last night and she said that you reach a point near the end of your pregnancy where you start to freak out but there's no way that you can turn back at that point. But she assured me that my pain was probably not as bad as labor but that labor was 100% worth it. I mean, plenty of women have more than one child, so it can't be all bad. :-)

mj said...

lizzie. i feel your pain. no really, i do. i had a similar experience some months ago. i may have some info for you, depending on what exactly you're talking about.