ETA: I'll keep this up for a few more days until I reveal all the answers. I want to see if anyone can come up with the last few.
I stole this from my friend Jasie and thought it was a cool idea. The hard part was selecting 15 of my favorite movies...eventually, I decided to pick movies that I either adore or which have scenes and/or lines that are memorable to me. I thought I'd pick the most obscure quotes I could find, but in the end, that just seemed a little cruel. There are certainly quotes I could have picked that would have easily given the movie(s) away and I tried to steer clear of those. This is only a brief sampling of the movies that I love, find amusing, make me cry, or are simply a good time. I actually think I would have had an easier time picking my favorite quotes from 15 television shows but that would have been downright impossible for anyone to guess. (In some cases, I've removed the names of characters which would have easily revealed the movie. Just FYI.) Here are the rules:
1. Pick 15 of your favourite movies.
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess.
4. Fill in the film title once it's guessed.
5. NO GOOGLING/using IMDb search functions
1) "I mean, the voice isn't telling me to do anything. It's telling me what I've already done... accurately, and with a better vocabulary." Stranger Than Fiction, Kara
2) "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." When Harry Met Sally, Christa
3) "Shelves in the closet. Happy thought indeed." Pride and Prejudice, Kara
(Now this is a rather obscure line in this movie but it has never failed to make me giggle.)
4) "That's so tacky... and you know what else is tacky? Tucking your shirt in when you're wearing a belt." "I only did that one time!" Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Kara
(This is from a movie that I love, but which does not have a lot of really quotable lines. Isn't it funny how some movies are like that?)
5) "What I'm trying to say, is... I think I love you. I never imagined I'd know it for myself. My heart... It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it's trying to escape because it doesn't belong to me anymore. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange - no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine." Stardust, Christa
6) "He must be very smart. I bet you look pretty good from a few thousand miles away."
(I could have gone with a very famous line from this movie but I didn't think that'd be very fun for those playing along at home.) The Cutting Edge, Kara (yay!)
7) "The Claw! The Claw is our master. It decides who will go and who will stay." Toy Story, Kara (I actually like Toy Story 2 better but I love this scene in the first one. Both are fantastic movies.)
8) "What is this? A center for ants? The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!" Zoolander, Kiersten
(I'm a little hesitant to admit this--because this is the type of movie I generally hate--but I have all sorts of love for the movie this quote is from. David and I quote from it all the time.)
9) "Thank you for curing me of my ridiculous obsession with love." Moulin Rouge, Kara
10) "She weaves all things together."
11) "A woman happily in love, she burns the souffle. A woman unhappily in love, she forgets to turn on the oven." Sabrina, (the original), Kara
12) "Never tell me the odds." Empire Strikes Back, Kara (I tried to stump you but I should have known you'd get this one.)
13) "I've always known myself. But he was the first to recognize me. And to love what he saw." Jane Eyre, MJ
14) "But I love the old Rose! The one with no makeup and baggy clothes who loves 'the perfect bite'! She eats carrots now, isn't that tragic?" The Mirror Has Two Faces, MJ
15) "Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing." Iron Man, Christa
Runners-up:
(Most of these are quotes from the movies above that were very close to being picked. I just couldn't not include them.)
16) "Because it's a book about a man who doesn't know he's about to die. And then dies. But if a man does know he's about to die and dies anyway. Dies- dies willingly, knowing that he could stop it, then- I mean, isn't that the type of man who you want to keep alive?" Stranger than Fiction, Kara
17) "Would I be correct in thinking that you can neither see nor hear me? Then I'd like to tell you that you smell of pee. You look like the wrong end of a dog. And I swear, if I don't get my Tristan back as he was, I'll be your personal poltergeist! " Stardust, Kara
18) "I'm Tour Guide Barbie. Please keep your hands, arms, and accessories in the car, and no flash photography. Thank you. " Toy Story 2, Kara
19) "A eugoogalizor, one who speaks at funerals. Or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogoly was?" Zoolander, Kiersten
20) "You're going to be bad for business. I can tell." Moulin Rouge, Kara
21) "Nobody poor was ever called democratic for marrying somebody rich." Sabrina, Emily
22) "I don't date these girls because they're well-read. I gave one of them a copy of "Farewell to Arms". She thought it was a diet book."
I realized, after doing this exercise, that I have seen a lot of movies but very few of them stick with me. There are snippets and scenes and emotions that stay with me long after I've forgotten the plot, but there are not many movies that I repeatedly watch or that stay fresh in my mind. The majority of the films that I do own and do watch again and again are the happy films, the feel-good movies about love and life. But for every five sappy romantic comedies and teen girl empowerment movies, there is one powerfully visceral movie which affects me in ways that I cannot describe and which, on occasion, change the way I view the world. But unfortunately, these are also the type of movies that can only be watched once or twice in a lifetime and so they did not make the list.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
1. Stranger than Fiction (AWESOME movie)
3. Pride and Prejudice
4.Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
7. Toy Story
9. Moulin Rouge
11. Because I Said So
12. Empire Strikes Back
16. Stranger than Fiction
17. Stardust (?)
18. Toy Story 2
20. Moulin Rouge
And 2 and 15 are right on the tip of my tongue, it's making me crazy...
Ooooh, what a fun game!
15: Iron Man
2: When Harry Met Sally? That quote sounds sooooo familiar...
Cute blog, Liz!
Oh, and 5 is Stardust.
8 and 19 are Zoolander. This is a fun game!
Good job guys! I'm quite impressed. You guessed the ones I thought you'd get (although Kara, I thought you'd know 6 also) and had trouble on the ones from the more obscure movies.
Kara, you guessed Because I Said So for 11, which is a really good guess, but I'll give you a hint. This movie is in black and white but it also has been remade once. 10 is a tough one because I think about 5 people saw that movie. It doesn't have much dialogue, so it was really tough to pick a quote from the movie. It is semi-historical. 13 is from a miniseries and 14 is from a movie that I often call a "mom movie" but which I love a whole lot and watch often. The runners-up are from these same movies. I'll be interested to see if anyone can get the last ones right.
Ah, 11 must be Sabrina then!
And 6 The Cutting Edge, right? How did not get that one sooner...shame on me.
hey lizzie.
i found your blog from abz. i'm sort of embarassed to say that i know #14: It's that Barbara Streisand movie, "The Mirror Has Two Faces." Actually I used to really like it. Now I think it's a bit too schmaltzy but it amuses me how 90's her makeover is. I can guess that #13 MUST be Jane Eyre, because it seems like something she would say and that movie HAS to be somewhere on YOUR list.
I think #22 might be About a Boy. It's the sort of snarky comment that would be in that movie, but I'm not sure if it is.
Dude, good luck on the job search. I've been there and it sucks.
Hey MJ, I found your blog through Abby as well. :-) I still really like the Mirror Has Two Faces. It's true that it's a little bit silly and maybe a tad contrived, but I still enjoy it. And props for getting Jane Eyre. I'm impressed that you knew my movie tastes well enough to get that one right. #22 is a good guess.
Okay, so I missed the fun due to being gone, but I do know 21--Sabrina. I confess that I looked it up on google to double check because I didn't want to look dumb if I were totally wrong, though. :) See, I LOVE Sabrina, but I saw the remake first and oddly I still love it way more than the original.
I think the only other ones I would have gotten were the ones from Toy Story, Moulin Rouge, and Zoolander. Kara is the champ here, I think.
Emily, it's funny how you can feel that way about certain movies. I love the remake of Born Yesterday with Melanie Griffth better than the original with Judy Holliday (who won an Oscar for her role) because I saw the remake first. It's strange how that can happen. The original Sabrina has a very soft spot in my heart. The remake was good, but there's just no re-doing Audrey Hepburn, in my opinion. Kara was definitely the champ though. It just goes to show that after 15 years, we're as similar as we've ever been, including our taste in movies and books.
I guess my job is to bring people together on the Internet through my terribly in need of an update blog. :)
Post a Comment