Friday, August 22, 2008

Books, etc.

I just finished reading Richard Bushman's biography of Joseph Smith entitled Rough Stone Rolling. Bushman is a long tenured professor of history (who has taught at the University of Delaware, Columbia, and BYU) and is a member of the church. In an attempt to make Joseph Smith and the church more accessible to both members and non-members alike, Bushman delves into a lot of complicated church doctrine which makes the book drag a little, mostly because I'm already familar with the concept of our celestial progression and the nature of God as a fully embodied person. But for every heavy-handed section, there are fascinating insights into the life and times of Joseph Smith. Bushman does not shy away from the controversies in Joseph's life and like Joseph himself, admits that he was a flawed man, given to his passions and consumed with his calling in life, despite the resistance he faced. Not only did I gain a greater insight into Joseph the man and prophet, but I learned so much about the foundation of the church, the inclusion of new knowledge and doctrine, and the central role of the Book of Mormon. It's a long book, sometimes tedious and sometimes absolutely fascinating, but I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a very balanced and even-handed account of the life of Joseph Smith and his legacy.

Other than reading and watching the Olympics, not much has been going on in my life. I'm still searching for a job and slowly growing more and more crazy each day for lack of anything to do. I had 3 interviews for an admin position close to home (wouldn't it be so nice to walk to work?) but I got the impression during the third interview that they had already decided against me because they kept making comments about how over-qualified I was, how I might be bored, or how I should be working in a museum, not as an admin assistant. I tried to explain that I would not be bored, I liked mundane tasks, there are no museum jobs on an island as small as Oahu, and what does it matter if I am over-qualified for a job if I'm still willing to do it and can do it well? I haven't heard back about the job (my interview was a week ago) so I'm not holding my breath, but the sooner I can rule out that potential job, the sooner I can look more vigorously elsewhere. But the sad fact is that there are very few jobs in Hawaii and even fewer close to home and I do not want to have to drive an hour each way in and out of Honolulu everyday (the traffic is absolutely horrific here). I have a few other options and I'm applying for some teaching positions at the college level but since the new semester is starting soon, I probably won't be able to get a job until next semester but at least it would be something. Hopefully something will fall into place.

In the meantime, I'm going to go check out some new books at the library and bake some banana bread.

3 comments:

abby said...

I'm in the last chapter of Bushman right now and I have to agree with your analysis. At points you're slugging through it, at other points, its just plain fascinating. I'm actually glad I took a month off from reading it because it made me read it with more relish.

I was surprised to learn that Emma was willing to divorce Joseph over the polygamy issue. The Church has such an uneven approach to her. I'm sure she loved him, but I can't blame her for having such a human reaction to the revelation nor for not following the Saints to Utah. She had enough of the nomadic life style.

I've taken many Church history courses and I learned something new from this book. It really was a very honest portrayal of Joseph. He had to evolve to become the man we all revere but he didn't get how people didn't always catch the same vision he had.

My favorite quote of Bushman's was how the most amazing thing about the Joseph Smith story wasn't that it happened was that so many people believed and still continue to believe it.

Kiersten said...

Hi Liz--this is Kiersten from Enclave times. I've really enjoyed reading you blog and am glad I found it. I think it's really cool that you get to live in Hawaii.

I can sympathize with your frustrating job search, too. We just moved to Champaign, Illinois, and there's not much as far as art history or museum work is concerned here (and Chicago, where all the most exciting job prospects would be, is three hours away). I already wish I was back at the MOA. Anyway, good luck with all that. Let me know if you think of a good way to stave off the craziness of not having something to do!

Liz said...

Abby, I read a few books in between reading Rough Stone Rolling which helped temper the boring sections with the truly fascinating and fast paced ones. I wish Bushman had spent a little bit more time with Joseph's legacy and what happened immediately after his death. Too many times, the story completely ends after Joseph's death or it jumps right to the Saints packing up and moving to Utah. There's so much that happened in those two years before the main body of the church left Nauvoo that has always been a little hazy in my mind. I too was really fascinated by Emma and have always felt that she has sometimes gotten a bad rap in the Church for not going to Utah with the rest of the Saints. She went through a lot; she lost 5 or 6 children, a husband, had lived a very difficult and nomadic life and yet she supported Joseph through it all. I can't blame her for blowing up over the polygamy issue....I don't think I could handle it any better than she did. Polygamy has always been a difficult concept for me to accept and to reconcile with the Church then and the Church now. But like you, I loved how incredible Joseph's story is and how, against all the odds, the Church he restored to the earth is still around.

Kiersten, HI! To be honest, I've been lurking around your blog too and I've enjoyed yours posts about moving, etc. I loved your pictures from Nauvoo. I'd love to visit those historic church sites again (I was 7 when we took a family trip there). It's hard to go from a place like D.C., where I was surrounded by museums and possible job opportunities (not to mention a lot of contacts at the Smithsonian) to move to a place that has a total of 5 museums. And if you loved working at the MOA as much as I did, then leaving that place is extremely difficult. I interviewed at one museum here but there didn't have money to hire me (typical for museums) so now I'm thinking that I might just start volunteering there until something turns up. Most museum professionals have told me that the best way to get a museum job is to start by interning or volunteering and making your presence known. Even if there aren't any open jobs in Champaign now, maybe by volunteering you can eventually find something. Other than that, I've taken to baking to occupy my time. It has only made me fatter so that might not be the best method to keep away the boredom. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.