Nearly two years ago on our cross country drive from Utah to Virginia, the very corner of our windshield was hit by a rock. It must have happened somewhere in eastern Utah or Colorado, but it rained through most of the drive that day and so we never noticed the small chip. But when we woke up the next morning to start the next leg of our long, long journey, a small crack had begun to spread up the passenger side of the windshield.
By the time we got to Virginia, the crack had spread up the passenger side of the windshield in a small arch but it stayed that way for some time. It didn't bother us since it only obscured the passenger side. (I know you can't really see the crack very well from the picture above.)
Not having the money to repair the windshield right away, we left it as it was. A few months later, however, I was driving on a rainy day and a huge splat of rain fell right on the crack on my windshield and immediately caused the crack to spread even further, until it stretched right through the middle of the driver's view.
It was low enough on the windshield that it didn't completely obscure the view and so we kept driving with a cracked windshield. I forgot it was even there. And even when we did have the money to fix it, I kept putting it off for one reason or another.
We had earmarked some of our tax return to replace the rear shocks of my car (which were in desperate need of fixing) and I finally inquired about having my windshield replaced at the same time. When I was finally connected to the glass guys at the dealership, they said they'd come to my house, it would take an hour to replace it, and it cost way less than I expected.
Now I feel a little foolish that I waited so long. I'm so happy to have a crack-free windshield once again. (Just in time to sell my car and buy a mini-van. Oh yay.)

No comments:
Post a Comment