Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sick Babies

For the entire months of November and December, it felt like we all just moved from one sickness to the other. I was as sick as I've been in several years over Thanksgiving. And just when I'd think we were on the mend, something new would strike. 

Last Monday we started in on week two of Christmas break. I blearily made my way into the living room where Zara was hacking up a lung and Adelaide was just an all-around goopy mess and I made the executive decision to strap on my big girl pants and get these kids to a doctor. We'd been miserable long enough. 

I got a same-day sick doctor appointment for that afternoon and even though I was still feeling pretty miserable myself, we all made it through still alive. Zara had bronchitis and an ear infection (right ear) and was given a 10-day dose of amoxicillin. (Zara had been telling me the day before that she kept hearing a sound in her ear which alerted me to the possibility of an infection.)

Adelaide had a rougher time of it. She had pink eye and was given the appropriate drops but the doctor couldn't see her ear canal well enough to determine if she had an ear infection too so she got to endure an ear wash to clean the wax build-up out of her ears. She was not pleased and let everyone know it. But once her ears were clean, the doctor pronounced that her ears were just fine. 

So with our prescriptions in hand, we set off to Kroger to hit up their pharmacy and stock up on foodstuffs for the week. They even got free balloons from the floral counter. (Big hit.) 


Adelaide loves her balloon.

So after a week and a half, I'm happy to say that we're about 90% back to health. (I have a pesky nose that won't clear up.) Adelaide is goop-free and Zara's cough has finally left and I can only assume that her ear infection has healed as well. Thank goodness for doctors and medicine and a week off from school so that we could all get better.

No comments: