Saturday, March 13, 2010

For Cat Lovers Only

Apparently, there are people out there who don't like cats.....

No seriously. There are.

But I.

I don't understand these people. (And being allegric is no excuse, in my opinion.)

If I didn't have a husband to reign me in or a cat who was genetically opposed to sharing her domain with another member of the feline species, I'd be the crazy cat lady with 10 cats. My mother is to thank (or to blame?) for a love of all things cats. Our cats are members of our family and we've owned more cats than I can number.

And I love our cat. I realized last month that it was our one year anniversary of adopting Suyom and we're so happy to have her around. She's endlessly entertaining, adorably cute, and a great companion for loneliness. (This was especially true when David worked all his long hours and nights. It was always a comfort to have another creature home with me.) Sure, Suyom, like all cats, has her share of annoying habits, like spreading her black hair gleefully around the house (which is a pain to sweep up and finds its way into the most annoying places) or meowing in the middle of the night when she wants to play after sleeping all day long.

But Suyom has also grown more cuddly with time. She was never a very affectionate cat, preferring instead to be pet on her own terms, but since I got pregnant, Suyom has become surprisingly more affectionate. She used to sleep at the foot of our bed but now she sleeps next to my head and will often let me pet her (and myself) to sleep.

Suyom is a lover of boxes of all shapes and sizes and her rats (a few of which she has mercilessly destroyed).

Like me, she loves figure skating.

And preparing meals. (But mostly, she just loves sitting on things that she shouldn't. I think it's all done in an attempt to spread her hair everywhere she goes. Thank goodness I wear a lot of black.)

Finally, Suyom has some mad jumping skills. Every so often, Suyom just can't contain her energy and she has to JUMP. She mostly jumps against door frames but she can get pretty high.

I was finally able to catch her jumping on video but then I realized that I'd held the camera horizontially, so you'll just have to turn your neck to see it. (I naively thought I'd just be able to rotate the video but videos apparently don't work like that.) There's not really any audio to hear, so you don't have to bother with sound. (And apologies if it doesn't work. I've never posted a video before.)



Yup, our Suyom is a fun cat. I wish she'd let me have 5 more like her.

But I guess one Suyom is enough.

No comments: